Can we really Save the Planet

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

debunking of the 97% of scientists say argument

Reminds me of this Covid 19.   When this "save the planet" thread started then the 97% were experts in climate change. Now they are experts in microbiology.  Hmmm.  Could it be that scientists are just like rednecks . .  "My theory is better than yours" kind of thing?

EDIT:  A thought came to me that the Ebola virus comes and goes and every time it goes the scientists pat themselves on the back. Perhps deserved.  Will  they pat themselves on the back if the climate changes back the way they want it?  Nice thing about being a scientist is:  When things go well you get to pat yourself on the back and when things do not go well you get to blame everyone else for not doing what they said.  Pretty good work if you can get paid for that.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Reminds me of this Covid 19.   When this "save the planet" thread started then the 97% were experts in climate change. Now they are experts in microbiology.  Hmmm.  Could it be that scientists are just like rednecks . .  "My theory is better than yours" kind of thing?

EDIT:  A thought came to me that the Ebola virus comes and goes and every time it goes the scientists pat themselves on the back. Perhps deserved.  Will  they pat themselves on the back if the climate changes back the way they want it?  Nice thing about being a scientist is:  When things go well you get to pat yourself on the back and when things do not go well you get to blame everyone else for not doing what they said.  Pretty good work if you can get paid for that.

Most of tbe scientists won't have done any original research just cherry picked from a few published reports. Their report then goes into the pool of information which is then cherry picked from by the next scientist and so on. People then read this and put their opinions on facebook which then becomes irrefutable facts.

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted

There's always going to be some type of situation that will change our world, which was best said by the band REM.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

People then read this and put their opinions on facebook which then becomes irrefutable facts.

Nice tune...

I see that all the time and agree 100%. If it's on FarceBook, it must be true... I am not so sure of your other comments, but believe there is at least some validity to them...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

As an example of how wasteful we are , in an office where I recently convinced them to change , they were burning 3000 watts of electricity per hour on the lighting , I changed the lighting over two days to led type, the reduced burn on electricity I calculated at 385 watts per hour ,so saving 2615 watts per hour , scale that up to per day 26150 watts per day , I don't t know what they pay per kWh,  but that's a lot of savings over the year 

I can buy a 600 x 600 Led panel cheaper than I can buy the parts to fix a standard 4 tube 600x600  fluorescent light 

The problem is that the department that controls the maintenance budget is separate from the department that controls the energy budget , and they can never agree

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

When this "save the planet" thread started then the 97% were experts in climate change. Now they are experts in microbiology. 

Whats your take on it then Dave?

One simple question; Do you think that Planet Earth is dying slowly because of use and mis-use of it's resources by Humans or by it's own depletion?

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

One simple question; Do you think that Planet Earth is dying slowly because of use and mis-use of it's resources by Humans or by it's own depletion?

One compound answer.  I do not know for sure AND I don't think anyone else knows for sure, just as I do not think any of the experts know for sure why the Corona virus is killing us nor what to do about it.

Thus discussing it is interesting, it is not going to save the planet.  Doing things without knowing for sure what we are doing may cause more harm than good.  OR it may do nothing and just cost us a lot of money.  OR it may help.  Anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Food for thought......................Cambodian rubbish tip and below that Rubbish Island Maldives and Mumbai India

Cambodian dump workers.jpg

5 Trash Island Maldives.jpg

Versova Beach Mumbai India.jpg

Edited by Kuya John
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

.Cambodian rubbish tip and below that Rubbish Island Maldives and Mumbai India

Image result for rubbish tip in EnglandAnd here's one in England.  The trash has to go somewhere.  So not sure what your point it.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And here's one in England.  The trash has to go somewhere.  So not sure what your point it.

I thought that was obvious Dave, as the populations increase the waste products increase, so where do we dispose of it, in land-fills, on islands or in the Oceans?

Or another example, is the photo  you posted of rubbish in UK.....fly tip it!

( Fly-tipping is increasing in UK by rogues avoiding paying fees at Official Waste Disposal Sites and off loading rubbish on farmland or in country lanes and pathways)

Fly tipping is costing UK councils and taxpayers millions to clear and dispose of properly each year, the photo you posted only serves to show, some people dont give a Flick about other people or the Environment.

Respectfully JB :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
Politeness
  • Sad 1